• Have you voted?

The Great Purge. A.K.A. Upkeep/Resident Data Cleanup

It's time to thin the herd.

We have 17367 residents (cleared a few months ago), 922 towns, 138 nations, and 80261 claimed chunks in our Towny universe. It's about time we clear some space. And we're going to re-enable upkeep now.

A large part of why this has been accumulating is because we were forced to disable upkeep a few buggy Towny patches ago. While we haven't tested in full production, I believe the issue should be fixed now. So, starting next week. (December 17th) we will be re-enabling upkeep, and raising the price on new towns. In the case that... Well. That upkeep doesn't work out the way we hope, we'll be making several backups of the database beforehand and disabling revert on unclaim. Meaning that hopefully if someone were to lose their town we should be able to recover everything with no issue.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't worry. You should still be worrying about having enough money in your town banks to cover daily upkeep. Also, keep in mind that with taxes now being collected, you might be kicking some residents out of your town unintentionally if your tax was set higher than the amount they have now. I would recommend setting taxes to 0 for the first few days of upkeep.

But brace yourselves... It might be a bumpy ride! Let's hope it works out!

Edit: Post purge stats
Residents: 3786 | Towns: 411 | Nations : 51 | TownBlocks: 61177

Top Nations:
Terravia: 171 Residents
Artenia: 124 Residents
Stonlos: 123 Residents

Top Towns:
DigZone: 40 Residents
Crab City: 29 Residents
Scarlet Kitties: 28 Residents

Last edited:

Comments

On one hand i'm hoping this doesn't hit my castle (literally doing this on a phone, gg life you win...) but at another point i'm just thinking good riddance to it now i can do something else....lol

Yay!!! I been waiting for this day for a long time. All that land next to my town that strange people who dont play decided to claim will be free again. Time to expand!

On one hand i'm hoping this doesn't hit my castle (literally doing this on a phone, gg life you win...) but at another point i'm just thinking good riddance to it now i can do something else....lol
It won't degenerate even if it does get unclaimed as color has stated (Hoping I'm reading that right). I don't think you really have to worry too much. :)

Last edited:
Oh dear,... I might have some clean-up to do here... Um, 17th you say? Now I'm Gonna kick myself for not pursuing more residents.
How will residents that haven't come back be culled?

I'm hoping it doesn't reach my town. . . . I'd give up. I worked to hard on my house . . . .

People. Stop worrying about your builds, they won't degen if you do fail the tax. It'll be the town data, such as residents, plots etc.