• Have you voted?

So... now what?

Neverywhere

True Noob
Silver Donator
I guess the lack of responses for that means not so much enthusiasm from some?? Can anyone say what they think?? Sorry Nev :p
I forgive you for... umm... bumping this thread? ;)
However, In terms of a mall I've always wanted to play around with multi-story, multiple owner stores. As plots span from the highest to the lowest height co-ords I'm not sure how do-able that is though. Personally I really dig the idea of having a village or town where people can wonder through and every shop has its own building but for sure would a mall be cool to have too. Maybe we could have both combined somehow? What do people think?
A small correction: in the mall, I wouldn't split up the plots vertically: one store plot would get access to all 7 stories of the mall, on which they have the choice to sell items. In this way, not all floors will be full of shops, but they'd be grouped at least :)
Not sure whether vertical plots would be doable either, I'm afraid it goes against most of the structure of Towny itself: if you do /towny map, it can't display it 3D, you know? :D

PearlescentMoon

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Build Team Architect
Build Team Member
Platinum Donator
I never did see this thread at the time of posting.
Given, I'd like to explain my absence and thoughts on 1.13 also.

My main reasons for not being as active are quite clear, with YouTube taking up my time, and my real life current job.
However, on the side, I'm very demotivated from SuperNoobs. Each time I'd get on to check up on things, it'd be completely silent. Even on the weekends with those 10-20 people online. The community doesn't feel as happy or willing to converse as much as it used to, and I s'pose that's attributing to the atmosphere for me, which I'm not fond of.
Of course, there's the nice conversation here and there, but I can't deny that I miss the old days, back when I first joined the server. People were booming, and virtual smiles were bouncing.

In terms of 1.13... I vouched for the reset, typically because of what Jo said at one point above. I have a town there, made months/years ago... I'm tied to it and just can't seem to merely ditch it and build in some other unclaimed land on the server. The wipe would refresh me and cut my ties to the old me. For some reason, a fresh map just makes me wriggle my fingers to find a place to build.
I don't blame people for wanting to keep the map; it's hours/days/months of work. This is just me from my internal perspective.

I tried to join a town (clary's, as she mentioned above), and even built a mansion... yet, unfinished. I just don't feel the excitement to create/learn something new... rather, towns, I feel, in time, end up being a cluster of different styles that almost smother a player to expand their mind and experiment out of the bounds (or turn out to be one style that isn't pushed one step further). I ended up feeling restricted (given, of course it's not an intentional thing, and the restrictions weren't essentially in place; it's the subconscious mind), to a certain generic house style, because that's what the rest of the town was doing.
Towns are great in some form, but also not in others. It certainly depends on player perspective, and I'm not sure forcing people into a large town would get smiles all round.

For playerbase increase: Essentially, I do YouTube, and could make a video on the server/stream etc, to advertise it. However, I feel the server needs to get itself back on its feet more before I dip them into the waters so-to-speak.

This is speaking personally, and I know/understand it's also not all agreeable. Please keep that in mind ~ Just mentioning it for the sake of this server discussion.

Enzichan

Archmage
Platinum Donator
Quest Team
Event Comittee
Hey Pearl! Always nice to see you around.

You made some very good points here. I think as staff we need to try to push through our own lack of motivation to get our members happy again. We might can do that through events, being available on discord, asking everyone in chat how they are, ect. A wipe would help our over all 'nothing to do' mindset as well as the disconnection older and newer members are feeling from each other and the server. Forcing people into a large town might not be good but maybe nations set up to act as teams for some events might help.

Maybe we should have a youtubers and streamers chat thread to brainstorm ideas for content that might get out numbers pushing again. My channel is diing off because I'm not motivated to work on it and that happened about the same time as my motivation for the server started to dwindle.

NoNiche

NomNomNom
Staff member
Mod+
Build Team Architect
Platinum Donator
Wiki Team
Crate Team
Head Moderator
Great things to consider and order of operations wise we have time to discuss and spitball ideas about what server life will look like after we decide if we are resetting etc. With that in mind if just like to say I'm fully on board with us adding a YouTube/streaming section both on the forums and discord. Then once we get further down the road, get the server in order, and start putting in work I'd love to see a lot of content be created and simultaneously advertise the server. Heck, I might even give making videos a try again despite being terrible at it! Sounds fun.

Neverywhere

True Noob
Silver Donator
The wiki pages and staff are suppose to be the system. Trust me, we don't mind if people ask questions even if they are newbie questions. The lack of staff presence makes this difficult though and a lot of players don't know about the wiki so I see where you are coming from. Definitely something to keep in mind. Perhaps you can cross post your comment to this thread: https://supernoobs.net/threads/so-now-what.3983/page-4#post-17002 since that is where we seem to be most discussing things we want to add/do differently in the future.
Since NoNiche told ARoD to reply here, I guess I'll quote them here, then! :D

Some kind of buddy/friend system for noobs, so there is someone they can turn to and not feel like they are being noobie and annoying? I'm always finding there is something i don't know how to do, i have a RL friend that got me on the server though and can bug him constantly. Minus that, there is no way i'd have stuck it out.
Crazy idea: how about having new players automatically join the "Noob" town, so they can ask noob questions in Town Chat? The town could also have a spawn filled with tips, or outposts to help with understanding the different stuff on the server.
And once they're confident enough about the basics, they can either strike out on their own, or join another town?

NoNiche

NomNomNom
Staff member
Mod+
Build Team Architect
Platinum Donator
Wiki Team
Crate Team
Head Moderator
Crazy idea: how about having new players automatically join the "Noob" town, so they can ask noob questions in Town Chat? The town could also have a spawn filled with tips, or outposts to help with understanding the different stuff on the server.
And once they're confident enough about the basics, they can either strike out on their own, or join another town?
A crazy idea for sure, but an interesting one. Definitely worth adding to the discussion.

Enzichan

Archmage
Platinum Donator
Quest Team
Event Comittee
I kind of like that idea. A lot of my staff duities involving assisting members happen with newbies who join my town because it is open could be lightened by this and free me up more to be moderating chat and responding to reports. The more I think about it and how good it could be the more I like it. That way a simple /t spawn could send them to a tutorial about the server and let them claim a plot if they want.

Iron_Cow2

Azure VIP
Crate Team
Hello as a staff member that completely disappears for a year or more at times let me share what I honestly think. I joined this server looking for mcmmo and towny with my friends. We're all old runescapers and dig that competitive vibe. The max level for mcmmo if I recall was around 5k. Anyways we also felt like competing for money, back then there was no crate. Well suffice to say color had to nerf the economy due to our success. I had an absolute blast playing the game, the staff were very welcoming and the community was popping. Supernoobs had managed a competitive balance while allowing for casual gameplay. Other servers I was on locked mcmmo and had tight constraints on the economy. Supernoobs was a win in this way.

So that's what I loved about supernoobs, now for critique:
I personally feel like the competitive mcmmo spirit has been completely trashed. I know everybody loves their levels but the only way to compete for a leaderboard is during a 6x event with overpowered crate tools. I feel like jobs has helped fill this void but it's still not quite the same. My core group of friends to join with me are also a super competitive bunch. I've found the trend to be since mcmmo started gearing towards events is they join and enjoy the initial startup phase but since they aren't very good at building they lose all interest in the game after that phase. I've seen it multiple times now and it kills me inside because every single time I bring them back and every single time I end up on this game alone in my town. It did not use to be this way. So what I'm trying to say here is we've destroyed a gameplay mechanic that at least in my experience helped my friends keep interest in this server.

The next part to me is the crate tools, yes I feel like they should be nerfed a little bit. Once people get their afk machines they tend to just afk. Afk players don't keep players on the server and dump items into the economy. I still love all my afkers, I'm one of them. It's just super easy to reach the point of having no goals at the moment if you're not a builder. Crate tools get them to this point a lot quicker. That being said my other big issue with the crate is I thought our economy was actually quite well balanced. It was taking me forever to get money, however I noticed many people on the server were actually quite loaded. Low and behold when I used the crate I went from 100k bank to 10m bank in minutes. The economy being tight only hurts new players if we're causing inflation.

In closing I've been told frequently that I cling to the past too much. Maybe that's true but there are many different ways to play this game. I just feel like the type my friends and I prefer has been hit the hardest with these updates. I'm always trying to adapt to the server but, it's hard at times. I love this server to death and it's allowed me to meet a lot of great people, so thank you for reading that wall of text and taking the time out of your day, I appreciate all of you.

NoNiche

NomNomNom
Staff member
Mod+
Build Team Architect
Platinum Donator
Wiki Team
Crate Team
Head Moderator
So that's what I loved about supernoobs, now for critique:
I personally feel like the competitive mcmmo spirit has been completely trashed. I know everybody loves their levels but the only way to compete for a leaderboard is during a 6x event with overpowered crate tools. I feel like jobs has helped fill this void but it's still not quite the same. My core group of friends to join with me are also a super competitive bunch. I've found the trend to be since mcmmo started gearing towards events is they join and enjoy the initial startup phase but since they aren't very good at building they lose all interest in the game after that phase. I've seen it multiple times now and it kills me inside because every single time I bring them back and every single time I end up on this game alone in my town. It did not use to be this way. So what I'm trying to say here is we've destroyed a gameplay mechanic that at least in my experience helped my friends keep interest in this server.
One small problem with this. A lot of players paid quite a good deal of $$$ for 6x mcmmo's. It'd be really shitty and unfair to reset those levels. Unless you can get the people that put money into it to agree to a reset of mcmmo I wouldn't count on a reset for that. I agree with just about everything else you've said though <3

Iron_Cow2

Azure VIP
Crate Team
One small problem with this. A lot of players paid quite a good deal of $$$ for 6x mcmmo's. It'd be really shitty and unfair to reset those levels. Unless you can get the people that put money into it to agree to a reset of mcmmo I wouldn't count on a reset for that. I agree with just about everything else you've said though <3
While I fully understand this argument, I still think it's something that is necessary to help restore the game. It would be a tough decision that color would most likely have to make. People never vote on nerfs their selves but it's paramount to keeping the game balanced. Basically all of my money was obtained from the crate and is about to be reset, so I don't think it's too far of a stretch there but, we'll see.

colorfulchew

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Bronze Donator
Azure VIP
Developers Developers Developers
Crate Team
While I fully understand this argument, I still think it's something that is necessary to help restore the game. It would be a tough decision that color would most likely have to make. People never vote on nerfs their selves but it's paramount to keeping the game balanced. Basically all of my money was obtained from the crate and is about to be reset, so I don't think it's too far of a stretch there but, we'll see.
The #polls poll already decided. I don't know why we're debating this.

Kerplunky

Daddy² Noob
Staff member
Mod+
Platinum Donator
Event Comittee
So! whats the plan in terms of lecagy town?
Hey Jo.

Seems no one has moved on it yet. I tried to force Colors hand on it and he has not been able to reach a decision because of the many moving parts getting the server back up and fully functional. I for one have claimed a very small space and will continue to build there but am still holding out for this legacy town or building spawn as a city. He said he does like the idea of a staff town next to spawn, but we arent quite there yet with making these kinds of decisions. Perhaps if we get everyone together who wants to be part of this legacy town, we could create a poll, vote yes for in, and nothing at all if they choose not to, we could take matters into our own hands and create it with the understanding that affiliations or other things may change as time goes on. Perhaps we could start a poll, and see if we get all those wanting to be involved a recognized and together. Its also difficult if we were to do this on our own considering plot claim limitations and lack of funding so far. I really would like to manage this but we just have to have the resources to do it.