1. Have you voted?

Should I create a warp for Noobs (Details inside)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoNiche, Aug 14, 2017.

Should I make a Noob warp?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. NoNiche

NoNiche NomNomNom Staff Member Mod+ Build Team Architect Wiki Team Platinum Donator Crate Team

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    TL;DR (Too long;didn't read) : Should I make a warp for Noobs where we can direct newcomers and there they will find all the rules, basic commands (especially chat commands), explain exploratorium, and a basic tutorial of how to get started. Idk how lost you were when you started, but I was lost AF for the first week or so!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of times when new comers join (especially ones who have never played multiplayer before, or towny, or used any of the plug-ins we use here) they can be overwhelmed or completely lost. I know I was when I first joined. This was my first ever time playing multiplayer. It took me at least a week to learn a lot of the basics. I'm still learning a lot of the commands and such after being here almost 2 months.

So I was thinking... What if we had a noob warp for new comers. Somewhere we could direct them their first time logging in after they ask that first inevitable question.

" Hey (insert name here) Check out /Warp Newcomers!"

Somewhere that I could post all the rules like they are at spawn, all the basic commands, and maybe I'd even store deadbolted chests there for me and helpers to pull from to give noobs that need a helping hand some starter tools or armor. That part I'm not a 100% on yet so let me know your opinions on that, but the rest of it (Rules, commands, etc) I'm pretty keen on.

I'td be a place where I'd have signs that explain:

...The exploratorium. (something many new players don't even realize exists or how to use until weeks into playing) I didn't even know that was a thing until after being here a week.

... basic commands ( chat commands, warps, homes, teleporting, starting a town,etc)

... The website and the places they should check out for more information or cool things to look at on the site. Maybe explain the dynamic map, voting, etc.

...chest shops, general exchange, and auction house.

... a basic guideline of how to get a good start ( Job > Exploratorium > make money > back to overworld > find nice spot for town > Start town )

That sort of stuff. I'd try to be as thorough as possible, while not overloading them. Well.. Possibly overloading them, but since it'd be a warp they could always come back for info. This could also maybe take a load off of some of us having to explain things all the time :p Not that any of us mind I think, but sometimes there are just too many questions to be answered all at once or someone might not know an answer and hopefully the warp (if thorough enough) would be able to help anyone in seek of information.

I just thought this might could be helpful. Any suggestions, opinions, ideas regarding this, answers to the poll, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also know that if I do build this warp it wont' be overnight and may take a little while since I have a bazillion projects going on at once :)

Thanks for reading!

2. colorfulchew

colorfulchew Owner Staff Member Owner Platinum Donator Azure VIP Developers Developers Developers Crate Team

Home Page:
    Minecraft username:
    colorfulchew
    Gamertag:
    colorfulchew
    Twitch:
    colorfulchew
    YouTube:
    colorfulchew
    I can get behind that idea. I've somewhat considered doing something like this, but I'm always too lazy. If you create such a thing I would be happy to add a hologram in front of /spawn alerting Noobs that for a tutorial they can do /warp Noob.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  3. Enzichan

Enzichan Archmage Moderator Platinum Donator Event Comittee Quest Team

Home Page:
    Minecraft username:
    Enzichan
    Gamertag:
    enzuchan
    Twitch:
    enzerutomoshibi
    YouTube:
    cutegirlgamer
    This is a really good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  4. Book_Mouse

Book_Mouse Rock Star Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Book_Mouse
    Isn't that what the spawn dome is supposed to be for? Other servers I've tried, they put that in the spawn. Sometimes you actually have to complete a tutorial by walking through a tunnel or making the rules display on your screen before you can play.

Timely post though, as I think @PearlescentMoon is reworking spawn?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sallavar

Sallavar Helper Helper Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Sallavar
    Gamertag:
    Mittewi
    I think it's generally a good idea. Working through and learning commands is the hardest part of joining any server.
    I think the chest of free supplies should be left out. There can be a sign to encourage them to use /warp Recycle where they can essentially get a basic kit.
    Something I've considered was setting up a Noob Shop just off spawn to sell basic items on the cheap. This Noob Warp would be a place to do that; and I think you have more time to pull it off than I do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  6. NoNiche

NoNiche NomNomNom Staff Member Mod+ Build Team Architect Wiki Team Platinum Donator Crate Team

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    Yeah ideally the info would be in spawn, but as it is there really is only the rules posted there. This warp could be temporary if it turns out Pearl was to add something like this to the spawn. I can do this in the meanwhile :)

Yeah I agree about the free stuff. That was just a thought and it's not a great one. Part of the fun is getting started on your own I think :p The sign encouraging them to use warp recycle is a great idea. I could put a noob shop inside the noob warp where they can get some cheap starter items if you don't think you'd have the time to do so.

Thanks for the input so far everyone !

7. Tieablecookie

Tieablecookie Smart-ArSE Helper

Minecraft username:
    TieableCookie
    I am willing to help you make the warp.

8. Thomas

Thomas Newbie

Minecraft username:
    Soul_Dealer
    I've been on this server for like a week or so. My biggest struggle where the town commands. I realized that i could sell a plot to one of my residents. I thought it was normal that my residents can acces everything, i dind't knew that i could ''set perms''. I discovered that my town could be used by outsiders, i quikly turned that off.
    It would be nice to let peole know there is a map online too.

I mostly asked this awesome community for help and I watched some vids on youtube to learn the towny commands. That helped me too. So maybe its usefull to add some youtube links in the ''warp noob''. Also I prefer to give a explanation to these fallowing commands:

/warp
    /plot

/t set
    /t mayor
    /t rank

Those are words from a wise new noobie

9. Tieablecookie

Tieablecookie Smart-ArSE Helper

Minecraft username:
    TieableCookie
    Very wise. A little too wise, actually, the wisdom is overwhelming, please reboot.

10. Enzichan

Home Page:
    Minecraft username:
    Enzichan
    Gamertag:
    enzuchan
    Twitch:
    enzerutomoshibi
    YouTube:
    cutegirlgamer
    Maybe it would be a good idea to compile a list of information that should be included, with community input, to make the most of the project.

I honestly think there needs to be a small space on shop-keeping near the jobs as part of a 'how to make money' section. Perhaps also mention the auction house and how to spend vote points.

11. Book_Mouse

Book_Mouse Rock Star Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Book_Mouse
    Believe it or not, Infernalized and I have been poking at the wiki here on the website. I'm sloooowly working in a Word doc rewriting the page on setting permissions. I wonder if anyone uses the wiki though? In the meantime, I'm collecting feedback on what confuses people when they join so I can add it to the wiki.
    https://supernoobs.net/threads/welcome-to-scarlet.3220/

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. NekoHunter

NekoHunter True Noob Staff Member Mod+ Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    NekoHunter
    Twitch:
    NekoHunter
    Niche, this sounds like a good idea and is quite welcoming and friendly to new players. I do see a couple of issues though. First, we already have a well written wiki that contains most of this information, conveniently laid out in sections. Is it really a better option to try and break that info up onto a bunch of signs that a new player peruses like an art gallery?

The other major hurdle is that new players especially have a certain excitement (and impatience) to just get the bare minimum of what they think they need to know to proceed. For example, when a new player asks, "How do I make a town?", chat lights up with "/t new <name>". The newbie creates a single plot town and has no idea how to expand it, how to apply permissions, or as will become quite important next week, how a town bank and upkeep work. But if you toss a link into chat such as "https://supernoobs.net/wiki/claiming-land-a-towny-guide/", they can't be bothered to actually read and learn how things work. In the proposed scenario, when a player asks, "How do I make a town?", is chat really going to advise newbies to "go to /warp noob and read"? If they did that, would these impatient new players really go and seek out the row of signs they need, or just think we're a bunch of jerks for not answering their question directly and log off?

We've got players who admit that they have never even read the rules that are 1 - posted as a series of signs at spawn 2 - in the aforementioned wiki 3 - available at their fingertips via /rules. What is going to compel them to start reading now?

I've seen a couple of other approaches to this problem as well. The helper bot Whiskers was supposed to address some of this by being a one-stop shop for answers, but let's face it, helping new players is part of what makes our community so warm. As a result, Whiskers might be of use when no one is around to answer questions, but most of the time, the community is happy to help. Another approach I tried a while back was to write a guide book that I handed out to new players. The issues there included the fact that I wasn't online enough to distribute them, I didn't have proper farms set up for the materials involved, and I'm sure enough players just tossed them without a glance.

That's a good idea for rules, as it removes a player's ability to say that they never saw the rules of the server. For a tutorial on how to play the game, I'd say it should be more of an opt-in and player-driven experience, especially if it's something that they might use as a reference later on.

13. Sallavar

Sallavar Helper Helper Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Sallavar
    Gamertag:
    Mittewi
    I work in communications and one of the mantras in my office is "lowering the threshold of access and response". We make it as easy as possible, in as many ways as possible, for as many people as possible to gain access to and respond to the information we put out. That does mean A LOT of duplication! One announcement for one event will go on our website, facebook, twitter, on handouts, in direct emails, in direct snail-mail, sometimes outdoor signs, and community event calendars in the local newspaper and radio stations!

How does this relate and why am I rambling?
    Some players will use the chatbot, some will look around every corner of spawn (this is my personal m.o.) some would go to the /warp noob (especially if there was an incentive) and others use a dual monitor, so they'll click a link and pull up the wiki page side-by-side with their game. And, yes - some will be dicks and need it spoon-fed to them because they won't read %$^&*.

TL: DR - The more ways we present the information, the more likely people are to consume it.

The key is keeping the information up-to-date and consistent when inevitable changes arise.

I ended up with a copy of that and thought the book was a good idea too! I vote for all of the above.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Enzichan

Home Page:
    Minecraft username:
    Enzichan
    Gamertag:
    enzuchan
    Twitch:
    enzerutomoshibi
    YouTube:
    cutegirlgamer
    I'm on the wiki all the time, mostly reviewing towny commands I don't use often. That was also the first place I went to looking for information on setting up a shop. Your hard work isn't going to waste :)

15. A__NOOB

A__NOOB Smelly Noob Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    A__NOOB
    I created a book with pretty much all commands if not all if ur interested in seeing it i'd be fine with bulk making em and giving them for the /warp

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. NoNiche

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    It would seem the general consensus is that it's a good idea so I'm going to go with yes. I've already started the planning for this warp and should start construction soon!

17. fatdslug

fatdslug Newbie

Minecraft username:
    fatdslug
    Any update on the noob warp? I am about 2 weeks in (Minecraft and this server) and would love some direction. Everyone I have encountered have been helpful, and I am trying to learn and read for myself. But I am kinda slow on the uptake.

18. colorfulchew

colorfulchew Owner Staff Member Owner Platinum Donator Azure VIP Developers Developers Developers Crate Team

Home Page:
    Minecraft username:
    colorfulchew
    Gamertag:
    colorfulchew
    Twitch:
    colorfulchew
    YouTube:
    colorfulchew
    /warp noob is a thing

19. NoNiche

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    As Chew has said, /warp noob is indeed a thing. If you need any help or have any questions beyond that or simply have any suggestions for things you'd like to see added to /warp noob just let a staff member or myself know. If none are online you can message me directly here on the website or make a forum post under suggestions! :)