• Have you voted?

Goodbye Super Noobs- for now at least. It's time to shut the doors.

I love this community- and there is a part of me that still feels guilty for not being more attentive.

This is going to be a wordy post, so for those of you with lives tldr: Super Noobs is shutting down it's Mineraft severs June 16th. I'm making a game and graduating college- and I hate you all.

I did keep it up through most of my college life, but especially the last six months and the promises I've not been able to fulfill lead me to think it's time to end this chapter of my life. I graduate this fall, and I've started to work on my own passion projects.

So, as much as I love ruling over you, and asserting my dominance over blocks... I think it's time to shutdown.

In 2011,
A bunch of my derpy ass friends didn't know how to port forward to run a Minecraft server. I didn't even play at the time, but I was tired of listening to them try and set it up- so on my old PC I had inherited from my grandfather I started a vanilla server- portforwarded- and added a DNS A record from scarlet.supernoobs.net- a domain that I had purchased for a Modern Warfare 2/Halo Reach clan. That's right- I was that guy.

In 2013,
I had developed an app for Windows Phone. Again... I was that guy. It allowed you to create a Minecraft "friends list" and add servers. Later versions even allowed you to get notified when your friends logged in- this was useful for me to know when my friends started playing on the server back in the day! Being an app developer though- you're required to have a support email. I got a number of weird emails- including a few random selfies from kids in Brazil (It was translated into Portuguese). One of the people however ran this factions server. When I looked, it was like, a top 100 server from what I could tell. He had offered to make me a moderator, so I did what any one who was made a mod on a server like that would do. I logged in and looked at whatever the hell that was. He was pretty successful. He had some super predatory donation schemes, people didn't seem to care. They were insane.

As a result of that though, I ended up realizing that I could open up my server to all. In the last two years, I had already started hosting the server in a data center to avoid outages, plus my old Pentium D PC was failing. I posted a listing to Planet Minecraft- not thinking people would join. I didn't even have a spawn built- so I begged one of the first people to join to make me a spawn. For their efforts, Sbell29 became the first admin I promoted! It wasn't great.

I remember making a "no grief rule", but I didn't really have the best way to enforce it. Back in 2013, the server ran the gold shovel claims plugin. I remember one of the first worst cases of grief I first dealt with was with Melon2007. His chests had been griefed- and I had no idea how to track it down. Eventually I checked the server logs and found that a player (I think it was AtomicQuadeBomb, but I don't want to just give him credit...) placed signs as they griefed. I believe that was the first time someone was banned from the server for griefing.

During this time we had the forums, and in December 2013 we reset the world and switched to Towny.

In 2014,
We had the biggest growth we had. Many of our players joined during this time. I graduated high-school in the beginning of that year. I had zero managerial experience. I was young- but a lot of time on my hands. I made a lot of mistakes. A lot of mistakes. C'est la vie.

It was endlessly addicting to meet everyone. I still remember seeing someone talking shit about being a cop and thinking "There's no way this fucker is a cop". Still friends with that beautiful dumbass.

I did learn a lot. And I grew a lot. For the next two years I didn't do anything but work on Super Noobs. Part of me wonders what would happen if I had the experience I do now back then. Sometime during my 2 year gap year- we hit our highest player count, with like 81. During one of my family gatherings. I remember my phone blowing up and rushing back home so I could fix it.

In 2016,
I went to college. I felt like creating within the realms of Minecraft wasn't actually me creating. When Notch sold Microsoft, with the eula drama, it made me realize that operating a Minecraft server wasn't really... Mine. During this time- I started playing with Unreal Engine and starting to create my own game. I had a fire lit under my ass though- and have sort of been killing it since.

I still kept up with the server- but time commitments are always different.

The Minecraft server will be shutting down June 16th. The forums will remain online.

There's so many different memories from my time on the server. Happy, sad, frustrated. I feel like I could write books about this server and would still be unable to capture everything this server is to me. Friends, family, and more. There's been some seriously crazy shit.

For what it's worth, if you'd like to follow me on my journey, I have a Discord for the game I'm making.

It's called Stir Party. It's 8 player party game launching on Steam. If you've donated in the past, message me and I'd be happy to give you an early release key (one key per level of donation, so plats can get 5 keys to give to friends as well) so you can help test and join me on the next journey.
Or, if you're just interested in following me on the journey I have a Discord up for the new game.
http://discord.io/stirparty

Thanks for the memories. Love you all. Ya fucks.

Comments

I've always been a shut-in gamer who spends all his time online. In all my time playing countless online games, from MMORPGs to FPS to Action/Adventure and etc, I've been involved with so many different kinds of communities. Countless people, clans/guild that I've talked to over the years, and in all that time, this is the only one where I really felt that I was at home.

Although I got pretty much completely burnt out of Minecraft, and the people I've known here have come and gone (including myself), I cherish the memories that were made with Supernoobs, and all of the experiences and lessons that came with it!

Love you, Chew <3
Love you, all the other noobs <3

Thank you for the years Color. I’m speechless. I feel like Im losing part of my home. I wanted my babies to grow up and play here. They’ll only hear stories, and see youtube videos. I’ll miss this place and all the fools that play here. Thank you all for the memories.

:’(

I've always been a shut-in gamer who spends all his time online. In all my time playing countless online games, from MMORPGs to FPS to Action/Adventure and etc, I've been involved with so many different kinds of communities. Countless people, clans/guild that I've talked to over the years, and in all that time, this is the only one where I really felt that I was at home.

Although I got pretty much completely burnt out of Minecraft, and the people I've known here have come and gone (including myself), I cherish the memories that were made with Supernoobs, and all of the experiences and lessons that came with it!

Love you, Chew <3
Love you, all the other noobs <3
I know what you mean. I've called this place home for so long. I know some of you more than I know my family. It's incredible.

Thank you for the years Color. I’m speechless. I feel like Im losing part of my home. I wanted my babies to grow up and play here. They’ll only hear stories, and see youtube videos. I’ll miss this place and all the fools that play here. Thank you all for the memories.

:’(
I think that's the thing that astonishes me most about the server... Years I've spent with this community. I think that's why the Discord and forums will still go on. Just no server. I'll probably start shit posting on the forums and Discord a lot more. Don't lose touch!
I have been considering spinning up a modded server to explore on- and that sort of thing I will still come back and invite you folks to.

Love you Kerp and Nabi!

I’m a actually really sad to see SN go for now. I can remember the first day I joined and was instantly accepted by the community. I may have burned some bridges but I’m glad that they existed. I thank everyone for what they have done and I personally thank @colorfulchew for the fun he gave us with SuperNoobs. It will totally be in the Minecraft history books.

I started playing Minecraft quite late - just after 1.12.2 was released. When I started looking for multiplayer servers, I found Supernoobs and never looked back. Supernoobs a great place to unwind and relax, with just the perfect amount of zaniness added to the mix.

As an older gamer, I've been through my share of great things coming and going in several multiplayer games and Supernoobs was one of the best communities I ever had the privilege of sharing. My only regret was missing the heyday, but that seems to be the way things work out for me.

@colorfulchew I'm looking forward to seeing what you contribute to the gaming community. You're going to be amazing.

Oh boy, I don't even know where to start with this. I'm probably one of the longest players on this server and being able to watch supernoobs grow was one of the most amazing things to be apart of
In 2013, I found out about this server and fell in love with it pretty much instantly. I remember all the troubles I've caused and all the fun that we've had. I just want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to allow us to create such awesome memories on this server.

I know I haven't been around much lately. Around the time I was promoted to admin, my life has changed in its own ways. Between keeping up the farm, helping my fiancee get her law firm off the ground (and helping to keep it running), and my regular 9-5 job, I just didn't have the time left over for doing a whole lot of gaming, let alone putting the time and attention in that I should have as admin. That said, we all shared in something wonderful here in this community, and it is an experience I doubt I'll ever forget. Thank you, Chew, for creating this place that we could all enjoy together, and good luck in your career going forward.

This is momentous news, I would like to first apologize for my absence on the server. Secondly I would like to openly express that this server helped me when my depression was severe. The people I met and the memories I have made are going to be the center of conversation in the future when Minecraft is old and dying. I'm extremely happy for you in your life plans for the future. For mine has changed dramatically. I wish you great things indeed and again I'm sorry if I wasn't an avid existence but be sure the existence of this community helped me more than you know.

I need to know!! How much did i spend on this server now that its going away @SlapMyNuts i remember coming in right after you, i havent been around in a bit. But it was fun. Poking Sam, almost getting banned. I know @colorfulchew has always hated me ;P ha Get at me on Discord! Slap how is Seattle?

It's so Hard to Say Goodbye ...

I wanted my babies to grow up and play here. They’ll only hear stories, and see youtube videos. I’ll miss this place and all the fools that play here. :’(
My oldest kid (Mr_Percy_Jackson) did get to jump in, at least for a few hot minutes before Bedwars stole him away from towny, then the dreaded Roblox ...
But this was my - and his - first server play. However awkward, and inexperienced, and premature the ejaculation - you never forget your first time. I take this moment to apologize to the gone but not forgotten @Orange_Boulder for squatting too close to his town like, two servers ago.

From my first ban for screwing sh*t up when I didn't know commands, how to find home, or anything, all the way up to being welcomed as a helper and mod, this was a great place and community to grow with.

Even though I'm a hardcore introvert, and didn't interact as much as most, I was still glad to have this place to return to.

I have been considering spinning up a modded server to explore on- and that sort of thing I will still come back and invite you folks to.
@colorfulchew – I'll be waiting!

Last edited:
Wow, this is crazy. I've always enjoyed this community since I joined (literally November 8, 2014) and have loved it since then. I agree, this server went through crazy ass shit. I still reminisce about the Skype calls and the dumb people I've "married" and the cake parties that would crash the server and all of the fun things. I have never found a server that has a personality quite like this, nor will I ever. Thank you for the fun times, Chew.

Wow, I love reminiscing on everything that happened here on Scarlet. Everyone was so sweet, and I learned so much from you all. I got to create an amazing tavern with all the crazy beverages you guys would put on /ah for the seasons and holidays, and always loved going into my bunker during cake parties. You guys always gave me good laughs too. Thank you for letting me have this experience.