• Full reset

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • No reset

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Just reset unclaimed areas

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters
Hey noobs,
We're on the verge of a new Minecraft update... Like, just around the corner... Any day now! Comonnnn budddy.....

As part of that, the server is looking at how to incorporate these changes on Scarlet. So we've been looking at three different plans:
  1. Reset the world entirely
  2. Do nothing!
  3. Spend around 200 hours writing a program to reset JUST unclaimed parts of the world
The third option is the biggest time sink, but may yield the best result, aside from some jagged borders from differing seeds.

The other augmentation we could incorporate with #2 is the addition of another world (keep in mind Exploratorium would still exist). This would mean that players would be able to go to that world, and BUILD in a fresh 1.13 world that won't be reset. There's space and game-play considerations to be made with that (People get confused by worlds), but it could work out well.

I'm looking for feedback on these three options, as well as providing more transparency into my thought process with this big decision.

As an aside: I believe Violet should probably just be reset (aside from spawn) if anyone has a differing opinion now is the time to let me know.

Comments

i think for a fully fair reset for the sake of the economy that no money builds or items should be taken over. mcmmo levels and job levels should stay for the sake of an easier start out though

i think for a fully fair reset for the sake of the economy that no money builds or items should be taken over. mcmmo levels and job levels should stay for the sake of an easier start out though
How do you feel about us keeping job levels? I also feel like it would be more fair to handle the reset like that but it's nice to consider letting people keep something. Mcmmo levels and job levels being those things would work. It would let us higher levels pull forward and shape towns and such.

Jobs and mcmmo staying is probably the biggest thing for me, if either of them were gone then all my motivation to work on the server will be gone.

A full economy wipe MUST happen. The last 2 times we had an “economy” it either got exploited or just overran by someone (me). The topic of scarlets economy can be further discussed in the future. I think this might be one of the most important things that needs to happen

If the full reset was to happen, my suggestion is to make an own "museum" server of the old world. All claimed and unclaimed builds would be visible there in a creative world where you can't destroy. I voted for a reset of unclaimed areas, but I would totally change my mind if this "museum" was made. A new start would be refreshing if the old was still within reach.

One more thing i forgot to mention.
I feel like crate items should be given the chance to be transferred. There are some players(like me for example) did pay real life money, donating to the server for points to gamble with the crate and if those items were taken away from me, i would feel cheated and would be very very unhappy.

I'm not very familiar with Shulkers, but I dont think thats a good idea. Wouldnt there be like endless shulker inside shulker stacking? The Vault worked perfectly as it was designed previously. Donor ranks got more slots. I think I had two full backpacks worth of vault stuff. I saved unique armors, uniqe tools, unique items, staff heads, a few spawners, and tons of quartz to build my temples. As far as money being reset, I'm either way on that one. Its not like us super rich people currently undermine the economy, we already have everything we need. I would like my vote points and mcmmo to remain, but I'm not trying to be picky.

I think keeping or transferring the spawn is okay, but I'd like to see if more people (staff) want to take over spawn as a town for ourselves and run with that idea of a market and everything we had discussed from the other thread. (https://supernoobs.net/threads/so-now-what.3983/page-2) If that were the case, perhaps world editing the spawn into a new map, but not at loc 0,0, and possibly off somewhere else so we can build the new spawn ourselves. Big town style, market, library, farms, grinders, etc. to create that atmosphere of activity for people who join. The build of spawn itself is very nice, but its just a single "thing" in the middle with nothing else about it. "Run to the wilderness and find a place to claim".... seems kinda meh after all these years. Id like to see a nice big spawn, with activity. Anyone else played Minecraft on xbox? I imagine the tutorial, how it was a large area to explore. Something similar would be really enticing, gives noobs something to explore as soon as they join instead of just /rtp or running into the wilderness.

Lets keep these ideas flowing. 1.13 is bound to drop soon. I'm excited to explore the new things.

I also really appreciated the vault to move things over here. But as @Neverywhere pointed out, that could easily be abused with shulkers, so there'd have to be a ruling on whether they would be allowed or not. I had to make tough choices last time; and I think that helps keep things a bit more balanced. A bit. If Nev brings super shulker stacks of quartz and nether stars over, so much for the balanced economy point.
The idea of losing so many items again... if only I could describe to you how demotivating that feels as a hoarder... Why do we need to punish loyal players in order to make new players feel "better"? (Also, who's gonna swoop in and drop a few nether stars at their feet as a welcome?)

However, after reading all the comments, I understand that I'm fighting a losing battle... But I still feel like I should state my case anyway, so here goes nuthin':

As I touched on in my previous post, I don't see the harm of letting people keep their items, and on the topic of an unbalanced economy: what is a strong economy? I see it's something people want, but it's like "a steady job", or "a good place to call home": a vague concept with really different beliefs behind them.
As I see it, the players with enough items to affect the economy should be our most loyal players, so if you can't expect them to lead with good examples in the new economy, we may be doomed before we even begin. I have to believe they don't all envision themselves as the leader of this new world: they simply want to belong to it.
And if a single player, no matter how wealthy they are, can influence the economy... Are we sure we have the right idea about what this vague term means? I'm not really looking forward to the uncertain first steps of a newly born dynamic economy. (Heavy turning points in the beginning, such as the first player to strike diamond, make a diamond pickaxe and sell obsidian)
Maybe a strong economy may lie in predefined prices, to be altered at the staff's discretion, as the player base grows and perhaps after a while, players can take over completely from there?

This is what my ideal scenario would look like:
  • The End: reset to 1.13 (why not?)
  • The Nether: reset to 1.13 (and allow building on the top of the nether? pretty please? ^^ )
  • The Exploratorium: reset to 1.13
  • The current 1.12 world:
    • prevent the claiming of existing plots
    • Disallow block breaking in wilderness chunks? (drawback: people who never thought to create a town for their base would beed to be handled by staff)
    • (drastically?) increase the tax on existing towns
    • disable spawner functionality
    • enable block regeneration?
  • The new 1.13 world:
    • Disallow block access (building & breaking) in wilderness plots: this is a world to live in, right? If you want to farm, go to the exploratorium!
    • make it rather small compared to the current world?
    • remove all resources (gold/diamond/...) from it - mine your resources in the Exploratorium!
Because you made it a new world instead of a separate server, players could go from the 1.12 world back to the 1.13 world by typing /world world_112 and /world world respectively with their hard-earned items.

I hope this idea prevails so I don't have to start from near-scratch again!

Grtz,
- Nev

Last edited:
Lots of great ideas! I voted full reset after reading everyone's points. I agree with Enzi that for a controlled ballanced economy money reset is a must. I will be sad to lose 70m but hope it leads to a better experience for all. I just want to keep my crate gear *tears* you can have everything else.

As a top detonator to the server a full reset is ok with me only if a Vault system is made. I have every set of the history of the server and personally thats all i care about. If no Vault Option 3 is my vote. good luck. 5 vaults and i would be content!

Why do we need to punish loyal players in order to make new players feel "better"?
We don't punish ALL loyal players; just the hoarders ;)

• Disallow block access (building & breaking) in wilderness plots: this is a world to live in, right? If you want to farm, go to the exploratorium!
  • make it rather small compared to the current world?
So you mean to tell me you NEVER break or place a block when exploring? It'd kinda suck trying to climb to a high cliff or get up on trees to check out a view, etc. if you can't build or destroy wilderness at all. MAYBE a moderately-paced regen, but even that ...

and as for smaller; some people like to play the game isolated. And, the smaller we go the less diverse environments we have to work with. We gotta have it big enough for at least a couple woodland mansions or coral reefs.

Also, us staff need to get together and make a list of how we're going to keep the world clean and operating. Time limits on fallen towns before we wipe them off the map? Do we roll back grief to the land in the main world? Do we ban for griefing the main world?

I do think we need to have some way for people to carry over at least a few prized possessions. Those who collected all the item sets deserve to keep them. Those who paid irl money for chest keys should definitely not be forgotten and be allowed to keep chest items. I think we do need vaults done the same as before but we can always make sure no packed shulkers come through. I don't like the idea of a small world because I fear biome loss.

We don't punish ALL loyal players; just the hoarders ;)

So you mean to tell me you NEVER break or place a block when exploring? It'd kinda suck trying to climb to a high cliff or get up on trees to check out a view, etc. if you can't build or destroy wilderness at all. MAYBE a moderately-paced regen, but even that ...
Currently, I do. I even try to clean up after myself. However, I've noticed...
If you enable wilderness regeneration, claiming and unclaiming it should allow you to easily reach where you want to go...

and as for smaller; some people like to play the game isolated. And, the smaller we go the less diverse environments we have to work with. We gotta have it big enough for at least a couple woodland mansions or coral reefs.
Some people don't like their items taken away from them either, but here we are...
I'm not saying "make it small enough so I can see the border from my window"; I'm saying "make it smaller than the current world which has a diameter of 50.000 blocks".

I do think we need to have some way for people to carry over at least a few prized possessions. Those who collected all the item sets deserve to keep them.
What about partial sets?

Those who paid irl money for chest keys should definitely not be forgotten and be allowed to keep chest items.
If the people who got chest keys through votes are forgotten, I'm not sure how much people will still vote.. "I'll lose this next reset anyway..."
I think we do need vaults done the same as before
Oh please god no, such limited storage... :'(
but we can always make sure no packed shulkers come through. I don't like the idea of a small world because I fear biome loss.
I fear block loss :(

Attach0 (1).jpg

Okay so I know that I'm a part of the minority in this case but I have to post this anyways. My friend and I have been with this server for going on 2 years. In the process, we have been trying to complete a large project and then, because we could, start another large project. I totally understand that people want a completely fresh start and to turn over to a new page but I can tell you that from my standpoint, my friend and I would lose every bit of work that we have been creating for the past 2 years. I actually don't mind saying that I voted to reset the unclaimed areas because I feel like that just and fair, and I understand that it would help create new space for new players or old to build in. I honestly don't know if we could stay on this server if we lost all of this, and I know that if we went somewhere else that we'd be starting over from scratch but it honestly will come back to the fact that this will be the second server that we've been on that we've lost everything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm totally cool with that but I had to at least put out my case for either not changing anything or resetting the unclaimed areas.

at this point all I would like is a decision to be made. I am reluctant to build anything at this point for fear of losing it. I voted for a full reset. But I feel like s*** or get off the pot. I know the update is not available as of yet but decisions need to be made sooner rather than later combining this with the other thread about how to make our server better wouldn't be a bad idea either I know after reading that thread I felt better about the direction of the server. I know I haven't been on Long but I've accumulated 35 million and I'm okay with losing that

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm totally cool with that but I had to at least put out my case for either not changing anything or resetting the unclaimed areas.
All opinions are equally important and valuable. That's the point of this post and we all appreciate getting to see how everyone feels about the topic. Thank you for sharing yours!

at this point all I would like is a decision to be made. I am reluctant to build anything at this point for fear of losing it. I voted for a full reset. But I feel like s*** or get off the pot. I know the update is not available as of yet but decisions need to be made sooner rather than later combining this with the other thread about how to make our server better wouldn't be a bad idea either I know after reading that thread I felt better about the direction of the server. I know I haven't been on Long but I've accumulated 35 million and I'm okay with losing that
As long as we have a decision made at least a day or two before the update becomes available we should be alright. We have to give people long enough to respond and give their opinions so we can make as fair and balanced of a decision as possible. Combining the threads would be cool, but they really are two very different topics. The one thread you mentioned is more of a discussion about where the server will be going in the future and this thread is more so a discussion about the first step in revamping the server which is deciding whether or not to reset, etc. Once we figure out if we're resetting or not then we can move back to the discussions about what changes and ideas we might implement.

Edit: One other thing to keep in mind is even once we reset, if we do, it will still take a while to get the server in the right place because the update will likely break a lot of plug-ins, others will have to be updated, towny will have to be updated to protect all the new blocks that will be introduced, etc. So even after the reset a lot of work will have to be done before things can start to get back to normal. Which after saying that I realize that makes the point of making a decision maybe even more imperative, but we can't do anything until the update is out anyway so we may as well take the time to talk it out and get as much feedback as possible. All that said, your opinion is valuable and appreciated just like everyone elses here. Every piece of feedback brings us one step closer to being able to make a decision in good conscience. <3

As a top detonator to the server a full reset is ok with me only if a Vault system is made. I have every set of the history of the server and personally thats all i care about. If no Vault Option 3 is my vote. good luck. 5 vaults and i would be content!
I agree with this 100%
There are players who have supported the server since the very beginning. Throughout these years, there were many pleasant and memorable moments. We collected a lot of items during those time and they remind us of all the good and the bad times. If we were to lose these items, it just feels like ripping out a part of us and I think it would be extremely upsetting.

I also realized that I haven't really voiced my opinion but here's how I feel.
I would love to have a reset on unclaimed area only because I've worked extremely hard this time around to build my town up.
Here are some of the things I've been creating over the months
2018-07-14_15-24-04.jpg
2018-07-14_15-23-41.jpg 2018-07-14_15-23-52.jpg
I've never put in this much work on the server before but I would honestly hate to see it go because I just think I'm too lazy to even rebuild half of these.

Even if the final decision is fully resetting the server, I will still continue to support the server because I believe that given this opportunity, we can work as a team and fix a lot of things. I don't know where to start of how to put this but I think the server right now is in a shitty state right now. Our player base has been dropping every single week, our crates has not been delivered on time and our economy...is non-existent.
The server is called "supernoobs" and it doesn't feel noob-proof to me. We have no guides/rules telling you "hey, this is towny server" or "how to towny." I know i might get criticized for this because people will just say "they can look it up" "they can google it" "we have a website with a wiki" But most people don't realize that our audience are kids and some of them aren't smart enough to do such a thing and I think it's our job to make it easier for them. I really hope with this reset, supernoobs can feel more like a family again.

I think Slap is right, we need a tutorial and a in depth information source both in game and on the forums. This way we can 'noob-proof' the server and make it more noob friendly. I would be willing to do both written and video guides if you need it. We have plenty of awesome builders who can make a better in game guide. I know we have /noob but it feels watered down. I want to see it expanded to not only include basics but also the in depth nitty gritty commands for towny the wiki has so everyone can go from noob to pro.

I think Slap is right, we need a tutorial and a in depth information source both in game and on the forums. This way we can 'noob-proof' the server and make it more noob friendly. I would be willing to do both written and video guides if you need it. We have plenty of awesome builders who can make a better in game guide. I know we have /noob but it feels watered down. I want to see it expanded to not only include basics but also the in depth nitty gritty commands for towny the wiki has so everyone can go from noob to pro.
I'd be willing to help work on such things.