1. Have you voted?

Explorer Job

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by sturdley, Jan 11, 2018.

1. sturdley

sturdley Casual Noob Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    sturdley
    Inspired by the Dynmap discussion, I changed one of my job slots to Explorer. After spending some time wandering through a darkened area in both the Exploratorium (15 min) and the Towny world (10 min), I gained 0 XP in the job.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if there is an issue with the job.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. 13firepenguin

13firepenguin Moderator Moderator Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    13firepenguin
    i dont think any of us have ever got explorer to work properly :(

3. NoNiche

NoNiche NomNomNom Staff Member Mod+ Moderator Build Team Architect Build Team Member Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    Don't quote me on this, but I think you have to fill out maps. Try bringing some maps with you next time and let us know if that helps or not. Also see if you can test it in the towny world. Perhaps explorer is limited to the explorer themselves and doesn't factor in any exploring any other player has done. I'll be sure to look more into this in the meanwhile. Might even swap one of my lower jobs for it to play with it a bit.

4. sturdley

Minecraft username:
    sturdley
    Map-making would make me a Cartographer, not an Explorer! :p
    I will give that a try, though.

5. Qwark

Qwark Helper Helper Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    _Pitot
    LoL username:
    Out of Jalapenos, NefariousPhD
    The explorer job pays you for discovering chunks; either by being the first player, or up until the fifth player in that particular chunk. This part of the plugin seems to be bugged or disabled, but I could be mistaken.

I took a look at the info about the job, as well as the default config file. If you type in the command "/jobs info explorer" you'll get the text below:
    [​IMG]
    The config file mentions that each number represents players number in exploring that chunk. 1 means that player is first in this chunk, 2 is second and so on.

Hope this gives you an understanding about the job itself.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. sturdley

Minecraft username:
    sturdley
    So, I did the map thing. I made several maps in darkened areas on the towny map. No dice.

I'll also note that I checked on my private family server and the plugin I'm using there (Jobs Reborn) does award XP just for wandering in unexplored areas - no map-making necessary and it only takes a handful of chunks to get the first couple levels. With this plugin, the first X people (configurable) that explore a chunk get XP, with diminishing XP the more people have explored a given chunk. Since the commands, UI, and help listing are virtually identical, I'm guessing some version/variant of that plugin is used here. The info here is mainly for comparison for what I've observed here (I know plugin changes/updates can be a huge headache, so I'm not necessarily suggesting a change).

Other odd thoughts:
    Could the jobs plugin be keeping its own record of whether a chunk is explored, and retain that info when the map is reset?
    Could the jobs plugin think a chunk is explored while dynmap thinks it is not?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. NoNiche

NoNiche NomNomNom Staff Member Mod+ Moderator Build Team Architect Build Team Member Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    This seems like the mostly likely answer here. Thanks for that :)

@colorfulchew What do you know/think?

8. Book_Mouse

Book_Mouse Rock Star Staff Member Mod+ Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Book_Mouse
    Nice work Qwark/_Pitot, holy shit. That's some dedication right there.