1. Have you voted?

Dynamic Map Suggestion

Discussion in 'Website Issues & Suggestions' started by L3Mbuilders, Jan 10, 2018.

Do you think the exploratorium dynamic map should or should not show your location?

1. Yes- We should be able to see our location on the exploratorium dynamic map.

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No- We should NOT be able to see our location on the exploratorium dynamic map.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. L3Mbuilders

L3Mbuilders Newbie

Minecraft username:
    L3Mbuilders
    Hey all!

I have been playing on the server for about 2 weeks now and I must say this is one of the best servers I have came across in a long time. After using many of the different serve features, I learned that we are encouraged to use /warp exploratorium to collect resources that we can then bring back to the main world and use for our towns. But after doing that, I think the exploratorium would be much more efficient if we could see on the dynamic map where we are in relation to biomes. Then, when we get to the exploratorium and use /rtp we can see where we need to go to get to the biome we need. I personally would find this much more productive use of the exploratorium and would decrease the amount of people using the main world to get resources. Feel free to take my poll!

Thank you!
    ~L3Mbuilders

2. NotsoFamous1

NotsoFamous1 Smelly Noob Platinum Donator Crate Team

Minecraft username:
    NotSoFamous1
    You can see your self. you have to click the right tab in the menu on the top Right of the map page, go to Explorium, click the left one. /rtp then find yr name and click on it. boom. good lucks

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. sturdley

sturdley Casual Noob Platinum Donator Azure VIP

Minecraft username:
    sturdley
    I wonder if the suggestion is geared toward having more of the exploratorium dynmap revealed rather than a sea of black speckled with small explored areas and the occasional meandering path across the wilderness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Linksdrunk

Linksdrunk Smelly Noob

Minecraft username:
    linksdrunk
    As notso said you can see yourself and other on the explore dyna map you just need to switch to the right setting which only takes a click to switch and then clicking your name. As the world is reset each month though the map will remain dark in areas not already visited.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Kerplunky

Kerplunky Daddy Noob Staff Member Mod+ Platinum Donator Event Comittee

Minecraft username:
    Kerplunky/AntiKerp
    Gamertag:
    Kerplunkt
    Correct. But he is asking for it to be revealed instead of unexplored. :)

6. Neverywhere

Neverywhere True Noob Silver Donator

Minecraft username:
    Neverywhere
    You could always just ask in general chat, "hey, I need some sand, can anyone please teleport me to a desert in the exploratorium?"...
    People might even offer free sand :)

Honestly, if the options are to either auto-render the exploratorium in its entirety, or not... I'd vote against it.

7. NoNiche

NoNiche NomNomNom Staff Member Mod+ Build Team Architect Platinum Donator Wiki Team Crate Team

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    As others have already stated you can see your location. As for the map being revealed it is revealed in locations that have already been explored. Unexplored areas remain dark and it should stay that way. It is called the EXPLORatorium afterall :p With the towny world being fully revealed the exploratorium is the only place you can go to just wildly explore and have adventures into the unknown and hunt. We should keep it that way in my opinion. If you ever do need help finding a specific biome or material just ask around and I'm sure someone will help you out :) We're a friendly bunch here at SuperNoobs!

8. L3Mbuilders

L3Mbuilders Newbie

Minecraft username:
    L3Mbuilders
    I strongly feel that if dynamic map was revealed then more players would use the exploratorium. To me, it just seems like a better use of the dynamic map. If we were able to see where we were going in the exploratorium we could more efficiently get resources and preserve the towny map that we spend so much time on. Also, if someone wanted to "wildly explore and have adventures into the unknown" then simply do not look at the dynamic map. The map is so big, even having it revealed would allow many parts of it to remain unexplored, especially since it resets every months. Personally, if i needed a half a stack of clay, I am not going to keep using /rtp over and over again, I am going to just look at the towny dynamic map (where I can actually see my location) and go to the nearest Mesa and get my clay. As far as "asking in the chat" for resources goes, I have done this many times and got no response. I also like collecting all my resources myself for my builds. This is a survival server after all. Being handed resources just does not seem like it should be part of the server. This is just a suggestion that I think would dramatically help conserve our beloved towny map.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. Book_Mouse

Book_Mouse Rock Star Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Book_Mouse
    I think what L3M is getting at is that the dynamap for Exploratorium isn't working properly. It isn't current somehow. Like it might show that you're beside a jungle but it's actually a snow biome.

10. Linksdrunk

Linksdrunk Smelly Noob

Minecraft username:
    linksdrunk
    The problem with that is once everything is shown, one person could go in and rip up all the special resources (say an ice spike biome) before anyone else had a chance to find and get any. Explore is there for you to find resources not be able to go "i need packed ice better go to these cords" what your going for seems more like creative mode just with more steps.

As for taking apart the towny world, do this at your own risk because you can get in trouble (if not banned in extreme cases) for doing this from what i understand.

And just a quick correction, the explore map is reset each month, not every 6 months =p

11. sturdley

sturdley Casual Noob Platinum Donator Azure VIP

Minecraft username:
    sturdley
    Doesn't the explorer job pay for exploring the map? I'm guessing not a lot of people pick that one up. More active explorers would increase the visibility of more areas on the map without the negatives of fully revealing it in one go.

12. Sallavar

Sallavar Helper Helper Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Sallavar
    Gamertag:
    Mittewi
    Huh. I wonder if it's showing perhaps the biomes of a map pre-reset? IIRC, isn't it the same map that's just regenerated? I don't think the biomes move when it's reset ... I could be mistaken though.

I'm a fan of the exploratorium because I think it brings back a bit of the challenge missing from an entirely uncovered over-world. The hunt is half the fun of hunting. Getting the kill (or the resource) is the satisfying icing on the cake. If the biomes on the map are displaying incorrectly, that should be resolved, but I think it should remain blacked out unless explored.

13. L3Mbuilders

L3Mbuilders Newbie

Minecraft username:
    L3Mbuilders
    I understand why you could be concerned with people abusing the map. But since the map resets every 16th of the month (correction fixed ;)) I think that would give everyone a fair chance at getting the resources they desire.

Additionally, if the server has such strict policies on taking (even small amounts of) resources from the towny server that points even more that we should reveal the exploratorium map to allow players to collect the resources they desire.

14. Kerplunky

Minecraft username:
    Kerplunky/AntiKerp
    Gamertag:
    Kerplunkt
    I understand your concern, but I'd like to point out a flaw in that logic. 1: The map is reset constantly. 2: If someone were to locate an ice spike biome and farmed from it, it would show that on the map anyways, and people would still be able to locate it easily. 3: the map is as large as the towny map, there would be several if not many of each biome. 4: one cannot simply teleport to any location in /exploratorium. The best you can do is /rtp and start walking.

Lastly, the issue as BookMouse pointed out, the map doesnt update properly. I think this is a larger issue, and one of the reasons why I dont use it often enough myself.

I am not advocating one way or another, just trying to help describe the issues at hand. I have not heard of there being rules about taking resources from the towny map. Perhaps thats something I missed in staff conversations, if someone could clarify that for me I would appreciate it, because that would nullify all of my town outposts.

15. Book_Mouse

Book_Mouse Rock Star Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Book_Mouse
    Totally okay to go in to Exploratorium and rip it up. That's what it's for.

16. NoNiche

NoNiche NomNomNom Staff Member Mod+ Build Team Architect Platinum Donator Wiki Team Crate Team

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
    It's even larger than the towny map last time I had checked which makes this point even stronger :D

I agree. I haven't used dynmap enough recently to have noticed this, but if it's not updating properly that's a serious issue.

Same. It doesn't matter much to me whether the map is revealed or not.

Edit: Removed a thing & stuff.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  17. NoNiche

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche

I'm a bit late on this, but I thought about this just now...

This is a survival world and you want to collect the resources yourself and for them not be handed to you, yet you wish to be able to know exactly where to find those resources without having to hunt. That's not very survival like! :p

(Just giving you a hard time if that wasn't obvious)

You've brought up some good points and ideas. Hopefully this discussion brings us all to some form of consensus and we can proceed from there.

18. Sallavar

Sallavar Helper Helper Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Sallavar
    Gamertag:
    Mittewi
    SN-Kerp-TP-Meme.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  19. NoNiche

Minecraft username:
    NoNiche
  20. Kerplunky

Minecraft username:
    Kerplunky/AntiKerp
    Gamertag:
    Kerplunkt