1. Have you voted?

Clarity on chunk mob caps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neverywhere, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Neverywhere

Neverywhere True Noob

Minecraft username:
    Neverywhere
    Hi there,

Are mobs caps per chunk divided into categories?
    I've seen 3 types of removal: "monsters", "NPC's" and another one I can't remember (and I also can't seem to replicate it: the one for non-aggro mobs)
    I'm wondering: can I build my villager farm in the same chunk as the sheep and skeleton grinder? Or would an overflow of sheep/skeletons possibly remove my villagers?

Thanks!
    - Nev

2. Tieablecookie

Tieablecookie Baked/Cooked, Small, Flat and Sweet Pastry Helper

Minecraft username:
    TieableCookie
    it's divided into passive, ambient (like bat), hostile and water, hostile mobs (in your case skeletons) will not interfere with spawning villagers, but because sheep and villagers are in the same group they will stop each other from spawning. they'll have to be at least a chunk apart to work properly. but if you are using spawners, it will not stop anything (BTW. you have to be in a 16 block radius of the spawner for it to work, so build them next to each other so you can stand in between and farm like a boss.

3. colorfulchew

colorfulchew Owner Staff Member Owner Platinum Donator Developers Developers Developers

Home Page:
    Minecraft username:
    colorfulchew
    Gamertag:
    colorfulchew
    Twitch:
    colorfulchew
    YouTube:
    colorfulchew
    At the moment the old plugin for limiting mobs by chunk isn't working. Minecraft will still remove mobs that are crammed, but as soon as it's working again you might suffer some heavy losses on your mob farms.

Even so, just because the plugin isn't working at the moment isn't a reason to cram as many mobs as you can into chunks. Please be considerate of others on the server by not stacking your mobs as densely as you possibly can. And also keep in mind that the chunk limiting plugin might return, breaking your design.

4. Neverywhere

Neverywhere True Noob

Minecraft username:
    Neverywhere
    The whole reason for this post is because I fully realize and expect the return of that plugin - none of my plans hinge on the plugin not working :)
    I only noticed it wasn't working because I wanted to replicate the error for too many sheep - I had thought it was different from the message from villagers... but then it didn't pop up. I'm fine with less sheep, I'd just like to know the limits for the different groups (although I realize they are subject to change), if possible :)

From what I can glean from Tie's post, the following categories exist:
    * ambient (bats)
    * passive (villagers, sheep, cows, chickens, ...)
    * hostile (skeletons, slime?,guardians?)
    * water (squid only?)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Book_Mouse

Book_Mouse Rock Star Staff Member Mod+ Platinum Donator

Minecraft username:
    Book_Mouse
    Yeah, I lost a bunch of villagers the first time I placed a villager spawner. I'm not sure how the game decides which mob will despawn, but we previously had a limit of 70 livestock-type mobs (including villagers) per chunk. Mix-and-match. As soon as you hit 71 animals in the chunk, you're going to lose one of them. Skeletons and monsters have their own cap. So you can have some mix of animals, say 35 sheep + 35 villagers = 70 animals cap; and a skeleton spawner going crazy in the same chunk, no problem. They won't affect each other.

Villagers are subject to their own pain-in-the-ass game mechanics too: I just keep mine separate from the animals. You really don't want to risk losing that Eff 5 or mending villager because a zombie hit it through the corner between blocks or because a sheep wandered too close to the fence, y'know? Plus, villagers elsewhere means you can turn off monster spawning in their chunks (and surrounding chunks! be safe! can't stress enough!)

6. Neverywhere

Neverywhere True Noob

Minecraft username:
    Neverywhere
    Just to be clear, the whole "sheep, villagers and skeletons in 1 chunk" business is all so I understand the limitations of the mob limiting plugin - I have no actual plans to put villagers in the same chunk.
    I'm planning on putting the villagers safely in a box, but since I'm building a tower, it won't have mobs disabled - I guess I'll have to make sure the chunks are well lit, and maybe I'll put an iron golem in the box as well...

Thanks!

7. Tieablecookie

Tieablecookie Baked/Cooked, Small, Flat and Sweet Pastry Helper

Minecraft username:
    TieableCookie
    actually: guardians are part of the water group :)
    and there are a few exceptions like ocelots being a part of the hostile mob group

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List