• Have you voted?

Abandoned towns and slowly reseting landscapes

Thread starter #1

iMJF

Casual Noob
While out exploring, I found what was clearly a well-developed house that had lost its towny protection. While looking around it, I saw that blocks were slowing being replaced with natural terrain.

My questions are:
How much time must pass before the regenerating terrain happens to unclaimed areas?
-AND-
What is the protocol when dealing with long-lost towns?
-can we loot them? Or is that a terrible, ban-able offense no matter how long ago someone abandoned their stuff?

Anorak

Smelly Noob
Platinum Donator
1. Only Chew would know, I think. It would be a very long time, though, since I've passed by abandoned towns many times with no visible change.
2. There was a poll about if griefing/looting should be bannable, but I don't remember if it was super conclusive. I'd say you just shouldn't do it whether or not it's allowed. If I were to be gone for a few months, I wouldn't be very happy to see all my stuff missing/destroyed, and I doubt you would either.

Anyways, I'd ask Chew on Discord since he doesn't seem very active around these parts anymore, lol.

colorfulchew

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Bronze Donator
Azure VIP
Developers Developers Developers
Crate Team
How much time must pass before the regenerating terrain happens to unclaimed areas?
Instant. It takes until the chunks are loaded for actual degen to work
What is the protocol when dealing with long-lost towns?
Don't be evil. I'd at least make an effort to return items if you think you know who, but yeah. Plus, with how few staff there are... You're probably fine.

Thread starter #4

iMJF

Casual Noob
Don't be evil.
Of course not. I wasn't about to go and demolish whole structures and ransack every item I could. And it would be rude to take advantage of staff absence for items I can already get on my own. But it was a weird feeling seeing this base slowly get turned back into stone and dirt and watching some of the chests explode as they got deleted.

I'll probably just stick to exploring these abandoned towns and leaving things as they are. Thanks for answering my questions.